MAHOPAC, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Firefighters responding to a report of a fire inside a diner in Mahopac, New York said when they arrived they found about two dozen patrons eating their meals and employees working despite the smoke.

The owner of Olympic Diner said he thought the smoke was the heating system that he had turned on earlier because of the cooler temperature on Saturday morning, the Journal News reported.

READ MORE: Reports: Mets Closing In On Multi-Year Deal With Ace Max Scherzer

But firefighters who responded found a real fire inside the walls near the stove after noticing thick smoke and hearing sounds in the walls.

The patrons were evacuated and crews battled the fire for more than an hour.

No injuries were reported.

READ MORE: Dr. Fauci Says He 'Would Not Be Surprised' If Omicron COVID Variant Is Already In U.S.

The owner of the diner said he will repair and rebuild. The restaurant has been open about 35 years.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:

[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]

MORE NEWS: New York State Trooper Injured After Being Struck By Vehicle On RFK Bridge

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)