SAYREVILLE, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — The superintendent who canceled Sayreville High School‘s football season after allegations of hazing says he is weighing whether to restore the program after this season.
Sources told CBS 2 that’s because school officials are also looking into whether the alleged hazing ritual started even before this school year. However, a victim would have to come forward for prosecutors to look into any past allegations, sources said.
Superintendent Richard Labbe told NJ.com that he’s not sure the football program will return based on the severity of the charges.
He said he has to look at the results of the investigation and is waiting for more information from the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.
Students returned to Sayreville High School for the first time Monday since the arrest of seven of their classmates last week. The seven students, who range in age from 15 to 17, face sex-crime charges in connection with the alleged hazing.
Three were charged with aggravated sexual assault, criminal restraint, hazing and other crimes stemming from an act of sexual penetration upon one of the children. The other four students were charged with aggravated criminal sexual contact and other charges.
A source told CBS 2 there is a possibility the students could be charged as adults, CBS 2’s Diane Macedo reported.
If they were to be charged as adults, the three students charged with aggravated sexual assault could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty, CBS 2’s Christine Sloan reported.
Pennsylvania State University has reportedly pulled its offer to a Sayreville senior after police were seen leaving his home Friday night just before the charges were announced, WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond reported.Comments