Gov. Christie Criticizes CDC's New Ebola Guidelines


NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A 5-year-old boy has been taken out of isolation, but will remain at Bellevue Hospital after testing negative for Ebola, health officials said Tuesday.

The little boy has been “fully cleared” of the disease after test results Monday showed no Ebola in the boy’s blood, the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation said.

EXTRA: More On Ebola From The CDC

Health officials said the boy’s fever was “caused by a respiratory infection that was confirmed by a lab test.”

The child had returned to the U.S. Saturday night after visiting family in the Ebola-stricken country of Guinea. His mother called for help after he came down with a 103-degree fever.

“He has a different medical condition, respiratory condition,” Mayor Bill de Blasio also confirmed.

De Blasio shared the news at an event honoring FDNY emergency response teams who suited up to transport Ebola patient Dr. Craig Spencer from his Hamilton Heights apartment to Bellevue Hospital, CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez reported.

De Blasio was at EMS Station 10 to congratulate Hazmat Battalion Chief Ed Bergamini’s crew on their job, 1010 WINS’ Al Jones reported.

“We’ve been practicing for a long time, for over a decade with this equipment, with these units, and we just put it into practice,” Bergamini said.

Spencer remains isolated in serious but stable condition.

“He’s a fighter. He’s keeping his sense of humor despite everything he’s dealing with. And he’s getting the best care in the world,” de Blasio said.

This weekend, Spencer received plasma from Nancy Writebol, who was successfully treated for the deadly virus in Atlanta back in August.

Spencer’s fiancee, Morgan Dixon, is under a three-week quarantine at their Hamilton Heights apartment. Only case workers can visit Dixon, who are helping her with food and supplies and looking for Ebola symptoms. So far, she has none.

Spencer also had contact with two friends before getting symptoms. They are also in a mandatory three-week quarantine and aren’t showing any symptoms.

Meanwhile, Gov. Chris Christie took time on Tuesday to criticize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s new guidelines on handling potential Ebola patients.

“The newest guidance, from my perspective, is incredibly confusing,” he said.

The CDC’s new rules dictate who should be self-quarantined. Now considered high risk are those who have been exposed to the bodily fluids of an Ebola patient, but are asymptomatic.

Those who meet those qualifications will now be monitored daily by health officials for 21 days. They will also be prohibited from travel on commercial airplanes, boats and long-distance boats and trains.

Christie argues his state’s rules of mandatory quarantine for health care workers exposed to Ebola are the most effective, Sanchez reported.

“The CDC is behind on this. Folks got infected in Texas because they were behind and we’re not gonna have folks infected in New Jersey or other states in this country. Governors ultimately have the responsibility,” Christie said.

President Barack Obama, however, defended the CDC’s new rules.

“We don’t want to do things that aren’t based in science and best practices because if we do, then we’re just putting a barrier on somebody who’s already doing really important work on our behalf. And that’s not something that I think any of us should want to see happen,” the president said.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]

Comments

Leave a Reply