NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Tom Coughlin doesn’t want his players taking the heat for the New York Giants’ three-game losing streak.
“Blame everything on me,” Coughlin told Newsday’s Bob Glauber on Thursday. “I’m the head coach. I deserve it. Go ahead. Pile it on me.”
If it wasn’t clear enough, the 68-year-old reiterated he’s “responsible for everything.” That’s a long list, from issues implementing Ben McAdoo’s new offense to a defense that’s been ineffective rushing the passer and stopping the big play.
“I’ve been there before,” said Coughlin, whose challenge flag mishap was one of the lowlights of Monday night’s blowout against Indianapolis. “It’s not going to affect me. I’m going to work the same way. I’m going to be the same coach. I’m going to be the same guy. It should all go right to me. Leave the players alone. We’ve got to coach the players better, and we’ve got to play better.”
Coughlin’s players — after having their pulse questioned from within their own ranks — rushed to his defense. Eli Manning said the guys in uniform need to step up. Mathias Kiwanuka told Newsday, “We’re not going to let him take the blame. … I’ll take my fair share of it, too.”
But one has to wonder just how long Coughlin has left. Once unthinkable, some believe it may be best for the Giants to move on from the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach if they miss the playoffs for the fifth time in six years.
At 3-5 and with matchups against Seattle, San Francisco and Dallas on tap, football in January is looking like a tough bet.
Even WFAN host Mike Francesa, an ardent Coughlin supporter, openly wondered whether Big Blue will be searching for a new coach for the first time since Jim Fassel parted ways with the franchise in December 2003.
“I’m telling you right now that, if I were the owner, I’d think this would be Tom’s last year,” Francesa said Monday. “I think they’ve reached a juncture where they need massive change.”