NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Before most people had their first cup of coffee Sunday, hundreds of first responders had already completed a full-scale emergency drill in lower Manhattan.

About 250 members of the FDNY, NYPD and Port Authority participated in a simulated evacuation of the National September 11 Memorial Museum, WCBS 880’s Monica Miller reported.

FDNY Deputy Chief Mike McPartland said the drill started around 4 a.m. and was wrapped up three hours later.

McPartland said all the different agencies seemed to be on the same page in the event of a mass evacuation.

“Everybody worked as a unified command,” McPartland said.

“We did a small simulation of 150 people,” he added. “But in reality, you could have 2,000, 3,000 people in this museum, so it would become a very big undertaking.

McPartland said there would be similar drills in the future.

“It gives us a base to work forward from, to try to use these drills as good practice in case the real thing happens,” he said.

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
[display-posts category=”news” posts_per_page=”4″]