NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Foxwoods Resort Casino has indefinitely postponed embattled Bill Cosby’s concert appearance that was scheduled for January.
Monday’s announcement is just one of several recent cancellations for the comedian as he faces a growing number of sexual assault allegations.
A string of women now claim Cosby assaulted them years ago and the comic icon has refused to discuss details of his 2006 lawsuit settlement with an accuser.
Model and TV host Janice Dickinson added her name to the women who have accused the comic of sexual assault — accusations Cosby’s attorney called a lie. In an “Entertainment Tonight” interview that aired last Tuesday, Dickinson said that the 1982 incident occurred in Lake Tahoe, California, where he was performing.
She told the TV newsmagazine that she wrote about the assault in her 2002 autobiography, “No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World’s First Supermodel,” but that Cosby and his lawyers pressured her and the publisher to remove the details.
In response to the growing scandal, Netflix postponed its planned Nov. 27 premiere of a new Cosby standup special, “Bill Cosby 77.” The company’s brief statement did not say why or when the show might debut.
NBC also announced it shelved plans to develop a new sitcom with Cosby.
There has been so much fallout that the cable channel TV Land even stopped showing re-runs of his old shows.
Cosby’s attorney released a statement Friday night, saying the claims from the women accusing him of sexual assault are “fantastical stories” that are “becoming increasingly ridiculous.”
“The new, never-before-heard claims from women who have come forward in the past two weeks with unsubstantiated, fantastical stories about things they say occurred 30, 40, or even 50 years ago have escalated far past the point of absurdity,” attorney Martin Singer said in the statement. “These brand new claims about alleged decades-old events are becoming increasingly ridiculous, and it is completely illogical that so many people would have said nothing, done nothing, and made no reports to law enforcement or asserted civil claims if they thought they had been assaulted over a span of so many years.”
Foxwoods did not offer any specific reason for postponing the Jan. 31 performance. At least 29 dates remain on Cosby’s touring calendar through May 2015.
The comedian is booked at the 130-year-old Tarrytown Music Hall for Saturday, Dec. 6.
Ticket holders have asked for refunds for the nearly sold-out shows, but the musical hall’s executive director said they can’t afford to give them or turn Cosby away. Instead, they have offered to create an open seat protest list and give it to the comedian after the show.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Trafficker Testifies That ‘El Chapo’ Bragged About Bribing Former Mexican President
- MTA Board Members, Public Seek Details About L Train Plan
- Man Facing Slew Of Charges After Alleged Attack On Laundromat Employee
- Chef Killed By Hammer-Wielding Man Inside Brooklyn Restaurant; 2 Others Critically Injured
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)