NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City could face more than 200 lawsuits over the gas explosion that leveled two buildings and killed eight people earlier this year in East Harlem.

City Comptroller Scott Stringer’s office says it has received 205 notices of claim surrounding the March 12 gas blast as of Monday. A notice of claim is a first step toward suing the city, though claims sometimes are settled before suits are filed.

The city Law Department has no immediate comment on the claims, which range from wrongful death to property damage.

The explosion destroyed two five-story East Harlem apartment buildings and injured more than 60 people.

A child was traumatized, a teacher suffered hearing loss, and people were left with no home or possessions, WCBS 880’s Ginny Kosola reported.

Officials believe there likely was a leak in a 127-year-old, cast-iron gas main serving the buildings. The National Transportation Board hasn’t yet issued a final determination of what caused the blast.

PHOTOS: Harlem Explosion | Explosion Aftermath

Attorney Robert Vilensky, who represents some of the victims, said he is planning to sue the city, the landlord and Con Ed.

“They should have inspected the pipes long ago,” he told Kosola. They should have replaced the pipes long ago, which they didn’t do.”

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
[display-posts category=”news” posts_per_page=”4″]

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)