NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The on-again, off-again speculation surrounding the New York Mets and a potential trade for Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is, well, off.

Again.

Speaking to the New York Post, Rockies co-owner Charlie Monfort threw a big bucket of cold water on fans clamoring to see the four-time All-Star in Queens.

“It’s not happening,” Monfort told the newspaper Thursday from baseball’s owners meetings.

The oft-injured Tulowitzki hit .340 with 21 home runs and 52 RBIs before a torn labrum ended his 2014 season.

“I can’t speak for him, but yeah, we want him,” Monfort told the Post. “I think he’s strong and he’s worked hard and he’ll be back. He’ll be Tulo of old.”

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has insisted the Mets would be satisfied with Wilmer Flores (.251, six home runs, 29 RBIs) at shortstop in 2015. But the Tulowitzki rumor mill — he was linked to New York ahead of last year’s trade deadline — began churning again in mid-December when it was reported the Mets and Rockies had been quietly discussing a trade involving the 30-year-old slugger. A deal with the Rockies has been said to be a long shot.

Washington Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond “remains a possibility” for the Mets in a trade, according to the New York Daily News.

“There is currently nothing imminent,” Alderson said earlier this month. “I still believe at this point that we will go into spring training with what we have at shortstop.”

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

[display-posts category=”sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]

Comments

Leave a Reply