NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Attorneys for the victims of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, claimed they have new evidence that agents of Saudi Arabia “directly and knowingly” helped the hijackers.
Attorneys claimed the evidence includes sworn testimony from the so-called 20th hijacker, and from three principals of the U.S. government’s two primary probes of the attacks.READ MORE: Tri-State Area Police Departments Travel To Harlem In Tribute To Fallen NYPD Officer Jason Rivera
The Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington said in a statement Wednesday that Zacarias Moussaoui’s claims come from a “deranged criminal” and that there is no evidence to support them. It said Saudi Arabia had nothing to do with the deadly attacks that destroyed the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.
The lawyers filed documents in Manhattan U.S. District Court to buttress claims Saudi Arabia supported al Qaeda and its leader at the time, Osama bin Laden, prior to the attacks. They have always said “the Saudi government directly and knowingly assisted the 9/11 hijackers,” but now say facts and evidence supporting the assertion “are compelling.”
They said an “expansive volume” of new evidence — including U.S. and foreign intelligence reports, government reports and testimony from al Qaeda members — support lawsuits seeking billions of dollars from countries, companies and organizations that aided al Qaeda and other terrorist groups.
They said evidence likely to be released soon includes a congressional report detailing evidence of Saudi 9/11 involvement and nearly 80,000 pages of material relating to an FBI probe of Saudis who supported 9/11 hijackers in Florida.
They also cited their own research, including last year’s Moussaoui interview at the maximum-security prison in Florence, Colorado.
Moussaoui repeated some assertions made previously, including that a 1990s plot by al-Qaida to shoot down Air Force One and assassinate President Bill Clinton was assisted by a top Saudi Embassy employee, along with claims there were direct dealings between senior Saudi officials and bin Laden.READ MORE: NYPD: Wounded Officer Wilbert Mora Being Transferred To NYU Langone Medical Center, Still In Critical Condition
The lawyers also said their case is boosted by sworn statements by 9/11 Commissioners John Lehman and Bob Kerrey, as well as Bob Graham, co-chairman of the Joint Congressional Inquiry into 9/11. Graham says he believes “there was a direct line” between some Sept. 11 terrorists and the government of Saudi Arabia while Lehman, a former Navy secretary, explained close historical ties between the kingdom’s government clerics and al Qaeda, the lawyers noted.
The court filing, coming less than two weeks after the death of Saudi King Abdullah, was made to meet a deadline set by Judge George B. Daniels.
In a website statement, the Saudi embassy noted the Sept. 11 attack had been the “most intensely investigated crime in history and the findings show no involvement by the Saudi government or Saudi officials.”
As for Moussaoui, the statement said: “His words have no credibility. His goal in making these statements only serves to get attention for himself and try to do what he could not do through acts of terrorism — to undermine Saudi-U.S. relations.”
Moussaoui was arrested on immigration charges in August 2001 after employees of a Minnesota flight school became alarmed he wanted to learn to fly a Boeing 747 with no pilot’s license. He was in custody on Sept. 11 and pleaded guilty in April 2005 to conspiring with the hijackers to kill Americans.
A psychologist testified for the defense at death penalty proceedings that he had paranoid schizophrenia. Jurors spared his life.MORE NEWS: Police: 62-Year-Old Pushed Onto Subway Tracks In Lower Manhattan
(TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)