HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The victim of an assassination attempt on Long Island spoke out Tuesday, a year after he was shot in front of the historic mansion he owns.
The historic Oheka Castle in Huntington is brimming with stories that would fill any bride’s fantasies.
But the owner of the mansion, Gary Melius, lived through a much darker experience there. On Feb. 24 of last year, a masked gunman drove up to the renowned catering hall and opened fire.
The 70-year-old developer and major political donor was getting into his Mercedes Benz in the estate’s parking lot when the gunman fired a shot into his driver’s side window.
As CBS2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported, Melius had raised the stakes for solving the crime a year after he was wounded.
“There is a reward for $100,000 leading to the arrest and conviction,” Melius said.
The huge reward and a tip line were funded by friends of the Long Island power-broker who restored Oheka Castle as a catering venue.
“They wanted to help some way and felt, you know, really helpless,” Melius said.
At the palatial residence Tuesday, Melius told Gusoff he has not lost faith in police, but hopes for new leads.
“I feel good we’re going to catch him, and hopefully, he’ll get what’s coming to him,” Melius said.
Melius was shot in the head in the attack last year. The kickback from the shot caused the gun to malfunction and likely saved his life, 1010 WINS News Director Ben Mevorach reported. Melius was hospitalized for more than week.
In an exclusive interview Tuesday with WINS, Melius said he is doing “fine” physically and addresses questions about the shooting and the investigation.