LINDENHURST, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island man claims he cannot work after he suffered burns from his iPhone when it burst into flames.
As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported, 29-year-old Erik Johnson was still in pain as he sat in his Lindenhurst home.READ MORE: Fire Destroys Carteret, New Jersey Apartment Complex; Dozens Displaced
Johnson said he was in New Jersey for his cousin’s wake when all of a sudden, he felt a severe burning on his leg — his iPhone 5C had exploded in his front pocket.
“All I heard was a pop, and it started fizzling, and it just started to burn my leg,” he told Hall. “It went to a pretty much instant burn, it didn’t even warm up; it just went to burn. And the only way I could get the phone away from me was to rip off my pants to get the phone out.”READ MORE: Mayor De Blasio Urges Private Companies To Require COVID Vaccines For Employees
Johnson suffered third-degree burns on his leg and spent 10 days in the hospital.
“You don’t expect something like this to happen, never,” he said. “It’s still hard to grasp the concept of this happening.”