NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Three days after a Brooklyn fire claimed the lives of seven children, Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) distributed free smoke detectors in Orthodox Jewish communities Tuesday.
Hikind’s office received hundreds of smoke detectors from The Home Depot, WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond reported.
On Saturday morning, seven Jewish siblings were killed when a fire tore through their Midwood home. Their mother and 14-year-old sister were critically injured. Authorities believe the blaze was caused by a malfunctioning hot plate left on for the Sabbath.