DIX HILLS, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – For the first time in Suffolk County, a new medicine was used to help save a man’s life after he was rescued from his burning home in Dix Hills.

As WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported, firefighters used a cyanokit Sunday to help save a 70-year old man who was suffering from smoke inhalation.

The medicine enters the bloodstream and treats cyanide poisoning that comes from smoke inhalation.

“The only treatment we’ve had before was high-concentration oxygen and drive to the hospital real fast,” fire Chief Robert Fling said. “This allows us the ability to administer this in the field and it actually starts to reverse the effects of hydrogen cyanide in the bloodstream.”

The chief said because one dose is expensive– costing $850 — four departments came together to split the cost. Dix Hills, Commack, East Northport and Greenlawn all pitched in.