WESTHAMPTON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Firefighters from at least 10 departments were dispatched Wednesday to battle a large blaze at a co-op building in the Hamptons.
The 60-unit Sandpiper co-op complex on Dune Road in Westhampton Beach caught fire just after 3 p.m., according to Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone.READ MORE: Mayor De Blasio Accuses Gov. Cuomo And MTA Of 'Fear Mongering,' Insists Subways Are Safe
Martha Weinstein, who owns one of the co-op units, told 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera that she found out about the fire from her husband, Paul.
“He just said to me, ‘I just got a phone call from the golf pro in Westhampton Beach, and he said that the Sandpiper had burned to the ground,’” Weinstein said. “And I was in total shock.”READ MORE: COVID Restrictions: New York City Restaurants Can Increase Capacity, New Jersey Raises Gathering Limits