NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A man has died after being shot by police Saturday in the East Village.

Two police detectives were also injured, suffering lacerations to the head, 1010 WINS reported.

READ MORE: NYPD: Repeat Offenders, Young People With Guns Big Problems Mayor-Elect Adams Will Need To Solve

The incident happened just before 2 p.m. on East Sixth Street and Avenue A.

As 1010 WINS’ Gary Baumgarten reported, officers arrived at a transitional housing building called The Bridge in search of an individual.

Authorities say police went up to the sixth floor of the building to arrest a 24-year-old male suspect in a robbery of a woman in Morningside Heights earlier this week.

The suspect then reportedly jumped out a window and down fire escape, WCBS 880’s Monica Miller reported.

It was on the first floor of the building that police say the detectives confronted the suspect.

Police Chief James O’Neill called it a “violent struggle,” in which the suspect grabbed one of the detective’s walkie talkies and used it as a weapon to strike them on the head.

READ MORE: Judge Temporarily Puts Halt On East River Park Flooding Protection Construction

A witness told 1010 WINS they were walking in the area and heard shouting, saw a scuffle and heard a shot fired. The witness said the person who fired the shot was in plainclothes but wearing a badge on his belt.

The suspect was transported to Beth Israel Hospital, 1010 WINS reported.

One officer reportedly was treated for a dislocated shoulder, CBS2’s Matt Kozar reported.

The two officers were taken to Bellevue Hospital and are expected to survive.

“There were probably about 20 to 30 people in the street, cops, detectives and some dogs,” Michael Schumaker said, who lives across the street.”You hear about scenarios going down blocks away, but not normally here.”

The cops each have more than 20 years on the job, police said.

MORE NEWS: Westchester Police: Vehicle Fleeing NYPD Finally Stopped In Yonkers

This is the second police-involved shooting this week. A man died after being shot by police Wednesday evening in Jamaica, Queens — allegedly after he fired at officers.