By Daniel Friedman
» More Columns
In honor of the Rangers’ dramatic Game 7 overtime victory on Wednesday night, here are the seven best Game 7s in franchise history:READ MORE: Parise's 3rd-Period Goal Lifts Islanders Past Flyers
7. Rangers vs. Devils, Patrick Division semifinals (1992)
Adam Graves and Mark Messier score a pair of goals each, while Graves picks up four points. The Rangers cruise to an 8-4 victory over rival New Jersey to advance to the next round.
6. Rangers vs. Capitals, Eastern Conference semifinals (2012)
Despite a big push from the Caps in the second period, Henrik Lundqvist stands his ground and keeps the Blueshirts ahead. Michael Del Zotto’s third-period goal proves to be the difference-maker as the Rangers win, 2-1, and advance to the Eastern Conference Final for the first time since 1997.
5. Rangers vs. Senators, Eastern Conference quarterfinals (2012)
Ottawa puts a scare into the home team, dominating the third period, but goals by Dan Girardi and Marc Staal end up sealing the deal. The Rangers win, 2-1.
4. Rangers vs. Flyers, Eastern Conference quarterfinals (2014)READ MORE: Pavelski Leads Stars Past Devils For 4th Straight Win
Steve Mason stands on his head for Philly, but it’s not enough to repel the Blueshirts, who get goals from two unlikely sources — Dan Carcillo and Benoit Pouliot — and win by a score of, you guessed it, 2-1.
3. Rangers vs. Capitals, Eastern Conference semifinals (2015)
An outstanding series comes to an end in appropriate fashion, with an overtime winner. Derek Stepan pounces on a rebound and beats a nearly unsolvable Braden Holtby to send New York back to the Eastern Conference Final for the second consecutive year.
2. Rangers vs. Devils, Eastern Conference finals (1994)
Matteau swoops in to intercept. Matteau behind the net, swings it front and scores. Matteau. Matteau. Matteau. Stephane Matteau. After a dramatic Game 6 victory to even the series, the Rangers win Game 7 in double overtime to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.
1. Rangers vs. Canucks, Stanley Cup Final (1994)
MORE NEWS: NYPD Officer Wilbert Mora Dies After Being Shot In Line Of Duty In Harlem: 'True Heroes Never Die'
A 54-year curse is reversed, as the Rangers defeat the Vancouver Canucks at MSG and capture their first Stanley Cup since 1940.