NEW YORK (WFAN) — An NFL franchise was “locked and loaded” to sign scandal-ridden running back Ray Rice. Then the team’s owner stepped in, putting an end to the transaction, according to WFAN co-host Craig Carton.

And Carton, who has been open about his friendship with Rice in the past, says it wasn’t the first time.

“Three different owners, I know as a fact, have said no (after) their GMs were ready to go,” Carton said Friday morning. “They discussed the financial terms and all that stuff, and when it got to the owner, the owner said ‘We’re not doing that.’ ”

Subscribe to the Boomer & Carton Podcast »

Rice was released from the Baltimore Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the NFL last September after video surfaced of him striking his then-fiancee unconscious in an Atlantic City elevator. The ban was later overturned, and Rice, reinstated as a free agent, is looking to get back into football.

Though he’s had interest, according to Carton, so far there have been no takers.

“Obviously Ray will go play anywhere at this point,” said the “Boomer & Carton” host, who hails from Rice’s hometown of New Rochelle, N.Y.

On Thursday, a New Jersey judge dismissed Rice’s domestic violence charges stemming from the Feb. 2014 incident upon his completion of a pretrial intervention program.

Rice rushed for more than 1,100 yards in four straight years from 2009-12. The 28-year-old Rutgers product saw his production drop significantly in 2013, when he ran for 660 yards and four touchdowns.

Comments

Leave a Reply