NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Tickets still remain for American Pharoah’s Triple Crown quest Saturday in the Belmont Stakes.

The New York Racing Association implemented several new policies this year. The crowd will be capped at 90,000, well below the record of 120,139 for Smarty Jones’ failed bid in 2004. Over 102,000 were on hand for California Chrome’s try at history last year.

“We’re willing to forgo profit to make sure everybody has a great time that comes on Saturday,” NYRA President and CEO Chris Kay said.

Approximately 8,000 general admission tickets were still available as of Thursday afternoon, but NYRA director of communications and public affairs John Durso said he expects every last one to be sold.

MORE: BELMONT STAKES GUIDE

“Interest has skyrocketed in the event since American Pharoah’s arrival here this week,” Durso said. “We anticipate a sellout.”

All box and reserved seats are gone, and the restaurants are fully booked as American Pharoah attempts to become the first horse to sweep the Derby, Preakness and Belmont since Affirmed in 1978.

BELMONT STAKES PREVIEW | HOW I’D BET $100

In another departure from tradition, no tickets will be sold at the track on race day.

“If you do not already have a ticket, please do not come to Belmont Park on Saturday,” Durso said.

More information on ticket and admission policies can be found at BelmontStakes.com.

(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply