NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Sources told CBS2 Wednesday night that Mayor Bill de Blasio is expected soon to announce the closure of large parts of Central and Prospect parks to car traffic on weekdays.

Cars are already banned in both parks on weekends. But the mayor will reportedly also close a portion of the northern end of Central Park to traffic.

The plan would also ban cars from West Drive in Prospect Park, but still allow them on East Drive.

As WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell reported, runners and cyclists in the parks sometimes face an element of danger, and many believe safety will be improved if cars are banned.

“You don’t have to be quite as concerned about something coming up behind you,” said George Hirsch, chairman of New York Road Runners.

Mayor de Blasio is expected to make an announcement at Prospect Park Thursday morning.

Legislation has been introduced previously to ban cars in Central Park altogether.

Comments

Leave a Reply