NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A 93-year-old man was killed Tuesday in a double hit-and-run crash in Crown Heights that was caught on security video.

Witnesses say the victim was first mowed down by a tractor-trailer before being run over by another car, CBS2 reported.

According to witnesses, the driver backed up, then drove around the man — identified as Millwood Hughes.

Millwood Hughes, 93, was killed in a hit-and-run in Crown Heights, Brooklyn on Tuesday, June 23. (Supplied to CBS2)

Millwood Hughes, 93, was killed in a hit-and-run in Crown Heights, Brooklyn on Tuesday, June 23. (Supplied to CBS2)

Now, police are looking for the drivers.

Hughes’ girlfriend had a warning for him when he left the house this morning.

“When you come out on the street, be careful, be careful Mr. Mil,” Maxine Gray told CBS2’s Tracee Carrasco. “He said, ‘Darling, don’t worry, go to work, everything is going to be fine, don’t worry.'”

A few hours later surveillance video showed Hughes stepping out of his double-parked vehicle on Albany Avenue near Eastern Parkway, straight into the path of a tractor trailer. A truck can be seen hitting him, and dragging him.

Witnesses said that what happened next was even more disturbing.

The video shows Hughes being run over and dragged a second time by another vehicle. The driver of the car then allegedly backed up and drove around his body.

“I just don’t believe that somebody would be that careless; inconsiderate,” one witness said.

Witnesses said the driver left Hughes lying in the middle of the street in desperate need of help.

“He was definitely still alive when he was on the ground. He was still alive in the ambulance,” David Crombie said.

People in the neighborhood describe the victim as well-known and well liked.

“He comes here to move his cars and is always nice to us. I see him in the winter, moving his car from the snow. And in the summer washing his cars,” said Crombie who works in the area. “He was a very, very nice guy. We feel bad.”

Loved ones are devastated and frustrated that both drivers didn’t stop.

“She should stop and say to somebody, ‘I made an accident around here, will you accompany me to the precinct, or could you contact somebody?'” Gray said.

Hughes was taken to Kings County Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Police described the truck involved in the hit-and-run as a white Peterbilt 18-wheeler with a silver trailer. The car involved was a black four-door sedan being driven by a female driver, with a sticker on the back passenger side rear window, police said.


Leave a Reply