NEW YORK (WFAN) — Keith Hernandez thinks the New York Mets have something special in prospect Michael Conforto.
In fact, he could see the 22-year-old outfielder in the middle of the lineup for the Amazin’s, who can’t seem to buy a hit these days.READ MORE: Gov. Cuomo Sexually Harassed Multiple Women In Violation Of State And Federal Law, AG Investigation Finds
“This kid Conforto … he’s torn up Brooklyn. This year he got elevated, was killing the Florida State League in St. Lucie. Now he’s in Binghamton, Double-A, he’s hitting .370,” the Mets broadcaster said Thursday on WFAN’s “Boomer & Carton” show. “I saw him in spring. He’s got a great swing.”
The 10th overall pick in last year’s draft, Conforto’s average peaked at .400 on June 19. He was held hitless in three of the following four games, dropping him to a still-impressive .346.READ MORE: Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, Gillibrand And Many More Call On Cuomo To Resign
There’s a chance Conforto could get the call this season or early in 2016. The Mets touted his polish after selecting him last June and indicated that he may move quickly through the minors.
“He’s a left fielder; a left-handed hitter, too. And I think that he has a real upside to being the third hitter in this lineup, which we need,” Hernandez said. “We need a real professional hitter.”
Listen to the entire interview below (or visit the B&C video page) for Hernandez’s thoughts on embattled manager Terry Collins, the Mets’ seven-game losing streak, pitching prospect Steven Matz, the stain of performance-enhancing drugs on baseball and more:MORE NEWS: NYC To Require Proof Of Vaccination For Indoor Dining, Fitness And Entertainment