NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City officials are reviewing the city’s contracts with Donald Trump after statements the GOP presidential hopeful made about Mexican immigrants.
A spokeswoman for Mayor Bill de Blasio said Wednesday that the review is currently ongoing. It follows remarks Trump made at his presidential kickoff event last week that some Mexican immigrants bring drugs and crime into the U.S.
“They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists and some, I assume, are good people,” Trump said at the event. “It’s coming from more than Mexico. It’s coming from all over south and Latin America and it’s coming, probably, from the Middle East, but we don’t know because we have no protection.”
In a statement, de Blasio said Trump’s remarks were “disgusting and offensive” and doesn’t represent the openness that defines New York City.
The Trump Organization has a 20-year concession agreement to run a golf course in the Bronx and also operates a carousel and ice skating rink in Central Park.
New York City residents are sounding off on the situation.
“He’s done some very, very good things for the city, so no, I don’t think he should be penalized for his business, I just think no one should vote for him,” said Upper West Side resident Mal Appelbaum.
“Immigration is a problem, it’s always been a problem. He’s trying to come up with some sort of solution to stop that issue,” Greenwich Village resident Corey Pohan said.
“He’s very abrasive, very obnoxious. I don’t think he really understands people in general,” Bronx resident Daryl Poe said.
On Wednesday, Macy’s became the latest company to end its relationship with Trump after NBC, Spanish-language station Univision, TV company Ora TV and Mexican TV network Televisa cut ties with the real estate mogul.
Macy’s said in a statement that the retailer is “disappointed and distressed” by Trump’s remarks and will end its relationship with him.
“Macy’s is a company that stands for diversity and inclusion,” the company said. “In light of statements made by Donald Trump, which are inconsistent with Macy’s values, we have decided to discontinue our business relationship with Mr. Trump and will phase-out the Trump menswear collection.”
Macy’s has carried a Donald Trump menswear line since 2004, including $70 button down-shirts and $65 striped ties. Most items were heavily discounted on Macy’s website on Wednesday.
“We have no tolerance for discrimination in any form,” the company said in a statement. “We welcome all customers, and respect for the dignity of all people is a cornerstone of our culture.”
The move comes after an outcry on social media, including online petitions, for Macy’s to drop the line.
Trump released a statement saying he decided to terminate his relationship with Macy’s “because of the pressure being put on them by outside sources.”
He went on to say that the clothing line was a small part of his business and that he was “never happy” about the fact the ties and shirts were manufactured in China. Trump said if he launches a new product line elsewhere he will insist the items are made in America.
Trump also lashed out at NBC and Macy’s saying both companies “support illegal immigration, which is totally detrimental to the fabric of our once great country. Both Macy’s and NBC totally caved at the first sight of potential difficulty with special interest groups who are nothing more than professional agitators, who are not looking out for the people they purport to represent, but only for themselves. It is people like this that are actually running our country because our leaders are weak and ineffective.”
Trump said if he’s elected president he will “greatly strengthen our border, making it impenetrable, putting a stop to illegal immigration once and for all. I will bring jobs back to the United States.”
The developer is suing Univision for $500 million for breach of contract for dropping the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which are a joint venture between NBC and Trump.
Representatives for Trump did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on the city’s review.
Despite the business backlash, Trump’s message is resonating with many people. A CNN poll released Wednesday found Trump in second place among Republican candidates behind Jeb Bush.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)