PHILADELPHIA (CBSNewYork/AP) — Bill Cosby admitted in a 2005 deposition that he obtained Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, according to documents made public Monday.
As CBS2’s Valerie Castro reported, Cosby was asked in the deposition: When you got the Quaaludes, was it in your mind that you were going to use these Quaaludes for young women that you wanted to have sex with?”
He answered “Yes.”
He admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman, documents said.
The Associated Press went to court to compel the release of the documents. Cosby’s attorneys had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.
The 77-year-old comedian was testifying under oath in a lawsuit filed by Andrea Constand, a former employee at Cosby’s alma mater, Temple University. He testified he gave her three half-pills of Benadryl.
Cosby settled that sexual-abuse lawsuit for undisclosed terms in 2006.
More than 30 women have accused Cosby of drugging them and sexual abuse dating back to the 1960s, CBS2’s Valerie Castro reported. The allegations last year led to the cancellation of the comedian’s projects at NBC and Netflix. He continues to perform stand-up comedy shows.
Some alleged victims believe they were also drugged.
Cosby has never been criminally charged, and most of the accusations are barred by statutes of limitation.
Attorney Gloria Allred said Monday that she hopes to use Cosby’s newly unsealed testimony in other court cases against him.
She said in a statement Monday evening that “this confirms the allegations of numerous victims who have alleged that he had used drugs to sexually assault them.”
She said “this admission is one that Mr. Cosby has attempted to hide from the public for many years and we are very gratified that it is now being made public.”
Meanwhile, an attorney for model Janice Dickinson said “now we know why” Bill Cosby has failed to appear for a deposition in her defamation lawsuit against him.
Dickinson sued him in May, saying denials made by the comedian’s representatives after she accused him last year of raping her in 1982 were defamatory.
“I will not stop. I’m a woman. I’m confident, and I’m an American,” Dickinson said last last year. “And it happened to me, and that’s the truth.”
Given his testimony in 2005, lawyer Lisa Bloom said in a statement Monday evening, “how dare he publicly vilify Ms. Dickinson and accuse her of lying when she tells a very similar story?”
She said “it is time for Mr. Cosby to stop hiding behind his attorneys and publicists and to publicly apologize to Ms. Dickinson and the 46 other women who have publicly accused him of sexual assault.”
Supermodel Beverly Johnson has also claimed Cosby drugged her, serving her a spiked cappuccino in the 1980s.
“I took another sip of the cappuccino, and that drug was so powerful it came on like a moving train, and I knew I had been drugged,” Johnson said last year.
Prosecutors late last year rejected filing charges against Cosby based on allegations by Judy Huth, a Riverside County resident who is suing the comedian, alleging he abused her in the early 1970s when she was 15 years old. Huth’s lawsuit states the abuse happened at the Playboy Mansion.
When asked about the subject in the Associated Press interview recorded on Nov. 6 of last year, Cosby said, “No, no, we don’t answer that,” and, “There is no comment about that.”
Later, he pleaded with the interviewer not even to show the “no comment” response.
“And can I get something from you, that none of that will be shown?” he says in the video.
Cosby’s lawyers in the Philadelphia case did not immediately return phone calls Monday.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)