WEST BABYLON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A fire caused millions of dollars in damages to a Greek Orthodox church on Long Island.
The fire broke out Tuesday night at the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in West Babylon.READ MORE: New York Weather: CBS2’s 1/17 Monday Morning Forecast
Father Demetrios Kazakis said the fire began from a malfunctioning refrigerator that was in a small room by the altar.
“Smoke damage is extensive here,” he told WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall. “The heat of the fire itself went throughout the entire church.”