CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A Long Island man will spend 25 years in prison for running down two police officers in a stolen car, critically injuring one of them.

Chad Morizsan, 34, of Northport was sentenced Thursday.

Morizsan waived his right to appeal when he pleaded guilty on June 23 to assault, assault on a police officer, leaving the scene of an accident, grand larceny and other charges.

Morizsan and his passenger were in a stolen SUV last September when officers Nicholas Guerrero and Heriberto Lugo stopped them in Huntington.

Morizsan sped off, injuring the officers. Guerrero suffered severe head injuries and spent three weeks in the hospital.

Morizsan and co-defendant Nicholas Franzone later carjacked a vehicle from an 87-year-old woman in her Commack driveway, authorities. They also stole her credit cards.

The two were arrested hours later at a Target store in Central Islip when they tried to buy a television with the stolen credit cards.

As CBS2’s Jennifer McLogan reported, the courthouse was overflowing with Suffolk County police officers, who praised Det. Guerrero’s remarkable courage.

“Thanks to the help of Stony Brook Hospital and the first responders, they saved his life. And it truly is a miracle,” said William Plant, with the Suffolk County Detectives Association.

Doctors gave Det. Guerrero the slimmest of chances to survive the severe head injury. Now, 10 months later and following a series of risky surgeries, Det. Guerrero has mastered the ability to walk and talk again, McLogan reported.

“Now what human being, knowing that he has just hurt an 86-year-old woman, stolen another person’s car, seriously injured a police officer, is concerned about only one thing: I want a bigger TV?” said Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota.

The prosecutor and judge called Morizsan’s crime a shocking “reign of terror” from a man with no remorse, WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reported.

“How dare you almost take the life of a true hero, you will have a steep price to pay,” the judge said before handing down the sentence.

When asked to offer an apology to Det. Guerrero, Morizsan said nothing, McLogan reported.

Meanwhile, Det. Gurerrero said he wants nothing more than to return to the job as quickly as he can heal.


Franzone is due in court on Aug. 4.

(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply