NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York Magazine is back online after a hacker took credit for bringing it down as they rolled out their cover story featuring 35 women who accuse Bill Cosby of sexual assault.
The magazine reported their website’s outage early Monday morning via Twitter.READ MORE: New York Weather: CBS2’s 10/16 Saturday Morning Forecast
“Our site is experiencing technical difficulties. We are aware of the issue and working on a fix,” the magazine Tweeted at around 2:30 a.m.
The site was back up at around 11:45 a.m.
The Daily Dot, a website that covers the Internet, reported that a self-described hacker dubbed “ThreatKing” took credit for the attack, adding that it had nothing to do with the Cosby allegations and everything to do with his hatred for New York City.READ MORE: At Least 1 Dead In Long Island Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak
ThreatKing took credit for the hack via the Twitter handle @Vikingdom2016, which has previously attacked government websites, the Daily Dot reported.
The hacker went on to threaten other sites related to New York.
The attacks are reportedly motivated by a recent visit to NYC by ThreatKing, who said he was “pranked” by a man with “a fake handgun.”
“We are going to destroy state websites, city websites, agency websites and court websites of the United States,” the hacker allegedly said in an online recording.MORE NEWS: NYPD: Woman Caught On Camera Pouring Gasoline, Setting Fire At Brooklyn Yeshiva In Possible Bias Crime