VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A Long Island family is appealing for public support to keep their young daughter’s killer behind bars.
The 13-year-old girl’s body was found stuffed in a sleeping bag hidden in a basement closet at Golub’s home a day after she went missing. She had been stabbed, strangled and sexually mutilated, officials said.
The family’s online petition appeared on a website Wednesday. It says Golub “must never be allowed to inflict this indescribable devastation on another human being.”
“He is where he belongs. He is where he should die,” the petition reads.
Golub was denied parole two years ago when he first became eligible.
According to transcripts from that parole hearing, Golub said he became angry when the teenager unexpectedly ran into his family’s home. The then-21-year-old bodybuilder was home with his younger brother when he said he collided with Kelly Ann, causing her to fall down the staircase.
She became unconscious before he suffocated her, according to Golub’s admission.
“It was kind of crazy, but my mindset was…I felt like she was imposing on me,” Golub said, according to the transcript. “All of a sudden, this happened to me. I became angry.”
Golub said he panicked and the suffocation was unintentional.
Instead of calling somebody for help, “I took her by the ankle and pulled her through the house, and her jacket, and her shirt, and everything rode up,” Golub told the parole board.
He said he slapped her to try to wake her.
“The slaps became punches, the punches, kicks. I acted horrendously that day,” he said.
He also admitted his “steroid use was ridiculous” at the time of the murder. His attorney said Golub rejected a “roid rage” defense.
Golub is set for a parole hearing in November, Newsday reported.
For years, tensions simmered on Horton Road where the families lived, as suspicions mounted around Golub’s younger brother who was in the house at the time of the murder. The Tinyes family believes he was an accomplice, but he has long denied involvement in the murder.
The Nassau County District Attorney’s Office reopened the volatile case in 2009, citing new information, but no new charges were brought.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)