NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Bronx hospital employee disappeared after turning to his coworkers for medical help, only to be found dead days later behind a locked bathroom door.

As CBS2’s Tony Aiello reported, the family of the man, Anthony Iuso, wanted to know Monday night how their loved one went unnoticed for so long.

READ MORE: Storm Watch: Officials Hoping To Avoid Repeat Of Ida With Preparations For Nor'easter

“He’s a great guy; a really kind guy; had lots of friends here,” said his brother, Thomas Iuso. “I just don’t understand how he could go to the bathroom and not be heard from again.”

The search for answers brought Thomas Iuso to the Montefiore Medical Center Einstein Campus in the Morris Park section of the Bronx just hours after his brother was found dead inside.

Anthony Iuso was a former emergency medical technician who worked at the hospital as an operating room technician. He reportedly went to the emergency room Thursday after injuring his finger, but when the nurse called his name, he was gone.

Iuso’s family reported him missing on Friday, and visited the hospital Monday morning.

READ MORE: NYPD: Man Shot Inside Union Square Subway Station

“It wasn’t until we actually went to the hospital and sort of made a commotion to figure out what’s going on; check some videotapes, is when they actually decided to do something,” Thomas Iuso said.

Around 4 p.m. Monday, hospital staff found Anthony Iuso dead inside a locked third-floor bathroom. His family could only wonder how four days could pass without anyone noticing.

Thomas Iuso said Monday night that he wanted to know “why this could happen; why no one cares to check on their own employees or patients in a hospital.”

CBS2 emailed a number of questions to the hospital. A spokeswoman expressed sympathy to the Iuso family, but would only say the circumstances are under investigation by hospital staff and the NYPD.

MORE NEWS: Exclusive: CBS2 Cameras On Hand At Unannounced Security Screenings At Troubled New York City High Schools

The New York City Medical Examiner’s office sent an investigator to the hospital. On Monday night, the grieving family continued to wait for answers.