By John Schweibacher
» More Columns
The New Jersey Devils will try to end a three-game losing streak when they play their final game before the Christmas break Tuesday night in Detroit.READ MORE: CNN's Chris Cuomo Fired Over Involvement In Brother Andrew Cuomo's Response To Sexual Harassment Scandal
New Jersey went 1-2-1 this past week, salvaging a point with a 2-1 shootout loss Sunday night in Boston.
Jonas Gustavsson made 29 saves for the Bruins in the win over the Devils. The Elias Sports Bureau notes that Gustavsson was winless in two games against New Jersey during his rookie season in the NHL (2009-10 with Toronto), but has gone 6-0-1 with a 2.11 goals-against average against the Devils since while playing for three different teams (the Maple Leafs, Red Wings and Bruins).
The Devils lost to the Ducks, 2-1, Saturday night in Newark. Anaheim’s Frederik Andersen, playing in the 100th game of his NHL career, made 21 saves in the victory over New Jersey to improve his lifetime record to 60-24-9.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only two other goalies who made their debut in the last 30 years won at least 60 of their first 100 games in the NHL: Chris Osgood (69) and Antti Niemi (61).
Martin Brodeur had 53 wins in his first 100 games for the Devils (53-27-14) while Cory Schneider had 55 victories over his first 100 outings for Vancouver and New Jersey (55-27-9).
The Devils lost to the Panthers, 5-1, last Thursday night at Prudential Center. Brandon Pirri recorded his first three-point game in the NHL with one goal and two assists for Florida in the win.READ MORE: 1 Killed In Paterson House Fire
It was the sixth time a Panthers player had a three-point game against the Devils:
- Brandon Pirri: 12/17/15 — Fla 5 at NJD 1 (1G 2A 3pts)
- Stephen Weiss: 11/21/11 — NJD 3 at Fla 4 (1G 2A 3pts)
- Kris Versteeg: 11/21/11 — NJD 3 at Fla 4 (2G 1A 3pts)
- Josef Stumpel: 1/27/07 — NJD 2 at Fla 4 (1G 2A 3pts)
- Ray Whitney: 10/30/00 — Fla 5 at NJD 6, OT (0G 4A 4pts)
- Ray Whitney: 4/12/98 — Fla 5 at NJD 5 (2G 1A 3pts)
Jaromir Jagr had an assist for the Panthers in the win. The future Hall of Famer, who will turn 44 in February, is the second oldest player to appear in a game against the Devils, according to the player game finder on hockey-reference.com (age on date of last game vs. NJD):
- Chris Chelios: 48 years, 71 days (NJD at Atl 4/6/10)
- Jaromir Jagr: 43 years, 305 days (Fla at NJD 12/17/15)
- Claude Lemieux: 43 years, 214 days (SJ at NJD 2/15/09)
- Teemu Selanne: 43 years, 170 days (Ana at NJD 12/20/13)
- Mark Messier: 43 years, 57 days (NJD at NYR 3/15/04)
- Mark Recchi: 43 years 49 days (NJD at Bos 3/22/11)
Cory Schneider recorded his second shutout of the season with a 2-0 win against the Sabres last Tuesday night in Buffalo. It was the seventh time in club history a Devils goalie shut out the Sabres:
- 12/15/15: Cory Schneider — NJD 2 at Buf 0, 25 saves
- 11/30/13: Cory Schneider — NJD 1 at Buf 0, 15 saves
- 10/13/10: Martin Brodeur — Buf 0 at NJD 1, 24 saves
- 12/7/09: Martin Brodeur — NJD 3 at Buf 0, 23 saves
- 12/23/96: Martin Brodeur — NJD 0 at Buf 0, 37 saves
- 11/17/93: Chris Terreri — Buf 0 at NJD 4, 30 saves
- 12/28/91: Craig Billington — Buf 0 at NJD 3, 26 saves
Schneider has lost both of his games against the Islanders in Brooklyn this season, but is now 8-1-2 with a 1.86 goals-against average in his 11 other road games.
Career Road Wins for Devils:
- Martin Brodeur: 309
- Chris Terreri: 34
- Sean Burke: 29
- Cory Schneider: 25
- Craig Billington: 20
- Alain Chevrier: 20
Plus: Scoring First — New Jersey is 9-0-3 when it scores the first goal of a game.MORE NEWS: 23rd Annual 'A Home For The Holidays At The Grove' Comes To CBS On Sunday, December 5th
Minus: Opponent Scoring First — The Devils are 7-13-2 when they allow the first goal of a game.