GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – A Long Island family had a scare Tuesday morning after several people in their home got very sick suddenly.

Six people were rushed to the hospital, including two teenage girls who passed out, due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their Franklin Court home.

Homeowner Martin Arellano said he had just turned on the furnace for the first time this season when house guests sleeping in the basement suddenly felt ill.

Arellano said he has a carbon monoxide detector in his home, but it was blocked by a stack of papers.

“So another little warning to people, check your detectors, make sure nothing’s blocking them, and check them out when you’re firing up for the first time,” Arellano said.

All the victims are expected to recover.


Leave a Reply