NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Some streets remain closed Monday following last week’s deadly crane collapse in Tribeca as a series of reforms to try and prevent another tragedy go into effect.
Starting Monday, the city is implementing a four-point plan that would include restrictions on crawler cranes.READ MORE: Gen. Colin Powell, Former Secretary Of State, Dies At 84 Due To Complications From COVID-19
“No building is worth a person’s life,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday. “We are going to ensure the record boom in construction and growth does not come at the expense of safety.”
The plan mandates workers to put cranes in safety mode when high winds are forecast and to send advisories under those conditions. De Blasio also called for more sidewalk protection for pedestrians and said a crane safety task force is also being created.
“I just hope that the precautions that are put in now will … nothing like this will ever happen again,” John Dumproff told CBS2.
The Department of Buildings will also raise the fine for failure to comply with regulations from $4,800 to $10,000.
“If we have to put strong measures to put limits on construction, we will do so,” de Blasio said.
On Friday, de Blasio said it was fortunate there weren’t more casualties and that the city had very strict crane laws in place. But over the weekend, he made modifications, introducing the safety policies that went into effect Monday, CBS2’s Hazel Sanchez reported.
Many Tribeca residents still remain without water and utilities and have actually chosen to leave until the neighborhood is back to normal.
“The dirt and gas fumes make it impossible for us to stay,” resident Bruce Ehrmann told CBS2.READ MORE: Reaction Pours In To Death Of Gen. Colin Powell
Meanwhile, the final pieces of the nearly 600-foot crane have been dismantled and carted away as the investigation into what went wrong continues. Friday’s windy, snowy weather is being looked at as a possible factor.
“The manufacturer clearly indicated that when you have those kinds of winds, the crane needs to be put in safety mode and that’s what they were doing,” Buildings Department Commissioner Rick Chandler said.
The collapse happened just before 8:30 a.m. Friday on Worth Street near Church Street as the crew was lowering the crane due to high winds. Worth Street still remains closed.
Cellphone video captured the moment the massive crane fell to the street.
David Wichs, 38, of the Upper West Side was killed instantly as he walked along Worth Street. Three others were injured, including 73-year-old Thomas O’Brian, who suffered a head injury.
The Department of Buildings also plans on studying the crane’s computer, found at the site of the crash. According to DOB officials, the crane’s computer records each movement and could be the key to finding answers about the crash.
CBS2 has also learned that Bay Crane Services, the company that owns the crane, has been cited four times for safety violations since 2011.
“Bay Crane really consists of about a quarter of the cranes that operate in New York City, so any of those violations could really vary,” Chandler said.
City officials said it could take weeks to determine why the crane collapsed.
On Sunday, loved ones of Wichs said their goodbyes. His widow Rebecca spoke at his private funeral, remembering the man she called her best friend.MORE NEWS: PHOTO GALLERY: Gen. Colin Powell Through The Years
“David, I am devastated that I have to live my life without you,” she said. “It was such an honor and a privileged to be your wife.”