NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The landlord of One World Trade Center has agreed to allow a charity stair climb honoring 9/11 first responders and their families to continue for a second year at the building.

Last month, the Tunnel to Towers Foundation announced the Durst Organization was cancelling the event, citing security concerns.

Negotiations between both parties, as well as Gov. Andrew Cuomo and some of the building’s tenants have proved successful.

John Hodge, Chief Operating Officer of the Tunnel to Towers Foundation, which sponsors the event, said it’s finally official: the stair climb will be held on May 15.

“Being able to re-enter that building victoriously is so important to all the first responders and all those who participate, and quite frankly it shows the resilience of the American people,” Hodge told WCBS 880’s Stephanie Colombini. “There are a tremendous number of heroic stories that took place in those stairwells on 9/11.”

Hodge said this year’s finish line has moved from the 90th floor to the 102nd floor, where One World Observatory is hosting the finish line.

Only 1,000 people can register for the event.

The stair climb raises money to build hi-tech homes for soldiers injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The event honors FDNY Capt. Billy Burke, of Engine 21, who lost his life trying to help a wheelchair bound man and his friend in the North Tower. The tower collapsed before he could get them out.

CBS2 is a sponsor of another foundation event — the annual Tunnel to Towers run.

Comments

Leave a Reply