NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A principal at a Yeshiva school is under investigation for allegedly sexually abusing a student.

As CBS2’s Ilana Gold reported, the possible crime was caught on surveillance cameras.

The video was released by a child advocate in the Hasidic Jewish community who also posted the alarming images on Facebook.

Detectives said they received a tip on Monday, claiming the principal at Satmar Elementary School of Kiryas Joel in Monroe, Orange County was behind the possible abuse of a student.

During the recording a man can be seen putting a child on his lap, before appearing to touch the student inappropriately.

“I don’t think it’s true. I’m sure it’s not true,” one father said.

CBS2 went to the school to get some answers, but was removed from the property by security. Nobody was available via phone.

It’s unclear if the principal in question is still on the job. Police said they are trying to figure out when and where the video was recorded.

They said they looked into a similar allegation last year, but wouldn’t go into specifics.

“I can say in the fall of 2015 we received a similar video, the Orange County Child Abuse did investigate that case. As a result of that investigation no charges were filed,” Major Joseph Tripodo, New York State Police Troop F, said, “We’re in the process now of determining whether it’s the exact same video.”

The video is surfacing as advocates from statewide Jewish communities are lobbying at the state capitol.

On Tuesday, they were in Albany pushing for stronger legislation to help child abuse victims.

Right now, victims have until the age of 23 to file a civil suit against their abusers, advocates want to get rid of the statute of limitations so victims aren’t pressured to take action.

“That’s just unrealistic in our perspective. Statistically, people don’t come forward until they’re older. And the way it is right now, when people come forward they are usually too late, and they can’t do anything,” activist and abuse survivor Chaim Levin said.

State police told CBS2 the investigation at the elementary school could take anywhere between a few weeks and a few months. An arrest has not been made.



Leave a Reply