Wife's Body Found In Trunk Of Car After Police Chase

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A man wanted in Rhode Island for killing his wife shot himself to death on the New Jersey Turnpike after a chase with New Jersey state police.

State police were notified at about 9 p.m. Saturday by police in Providence, Rhode Island that Franklin Osgood, who was considered armed and dangerous, was believed to be traveling on the Turnpike.

Troopers located Osgood’s 2007 black Dodge Charger on the Turnpike in Ridgefield Park, but Osgood refused to pull over.

Osgood, a former Providence police officer, lost control of the car and ran off the road, striking a guard rail and a state police vehicle, authorities said.

When troopers approached the car they found the 61-year-old Osgood with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead about two hours later at Hackensack University Medical Center.

Officers searched Osgood’s vehicle and found his 55-year-old wife’s body in the trunk. The Providence Police Department is investigating the death of Mary Jo Osgood.

Providence police said at a news conference Sunday that Osgood’s daughter had called them Saturday to say her father was missing and distraught.

“He had clearly indicated verbally to a family member, one of his children, that he had caused harm to their mom — to his wife,” said Providence police Col. Hugh Clements.

The stakes were high in the multi-state hunt, as CBS2’s Jessica Moore reported.

“By the way former officer Osgood was talking, it seems we were concerned with the safety for both his wife and himself,” said Providence police Major David Lapatin.

Officers found evidence at the couple’s Rhode Island home. They said Osgood murdered his wife in the garage before taking off with her body in the trunk.

Police had alerted law enforcement agencies across the country about Osgood’s disturbed state before he was found.

“We had him tracked to Connecticut, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey,” Clements said.

The investigation shut down the Turnpike for most of the night. It was back open by Sunday morning.

Osgood retired from the Providence police force in 2007 after serving for a short time. He was receiving a monthly disability retirement allowance.

Osgood and his wife had four children together.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)