GARFIELD, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A store in New Jersey has suffered major damage after two hoverboards left charging inside caught on fire.

Garfield police Lt. Richard Uram says workers Mega-USA hoverboards used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire caused by an exploding battery as one of the hoverboards was charging Wednesday.

But Uram says when they returned to the office a few minutes later, the second hoverboard had caught on fire on the desk. That fire spread from the desk to a wall and couch.

Firefighters responded around 3 p.m. to put out the fire.

More than 500,000 hoverboards were recalled last month after some of the motorized scooters overheated, burned riders and damaged property.

The hoverboards were made by 10 companies, including Swagway and Keenford and sold nationwide from June 2015 to May 2016.

Mass transit systems including Amtrak, PATH, the MTA and NJ TRANSIT have banned or regulated use of the motorized scooters due to potential fire risk and injuries.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply