NEW LONDON, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) — An electrical malfunction has been identified as the cause of the electric shock that sent six people on a ride at a Connecticut amusement park to the hospital.

The children were all on the Scrambler ride at Ocean Beach Park in New London, Connecticut around 2 p.m. on  Tuesday when they suffered the shock, according to CBS affiliate WFSB-TV, Hartford.

Deputy Police Chief Peter Reichard said Wednesday an issue in the wiring for the lighting of another ride was the problem. Because the Scrambler’s electricity feeds from the other ride, the other ride’s faulty wiring fed electricity through the Scrambler and to the aluminum handrails around it.

A 10-year-old boy suffered burns to the palm. The ride operator also felt a shock as he turned off the ride, WFSB reported.

All the injured have been released from the hospital.

The rides temporarily closed while the wiring was repaired before reopening.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply