GLASSBORO, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Apple is investigating after a New Jersey college student said his iPhone caught on fire in class.

Darin Hlavaty claims his iPhone 6 Plus spontaneously burst into flames while he sat in class at Rowan University, causing his classroom to be evacuated.

READ MORE: NYPD: Suspect Grabbed 11-Year-Old Girl's Hair, Tried To Choke Her At Stuyvesant Square Park

“I flinched upwards because it was burning my leg, as I flinched up I noticed it was smoking and I threw the phone on the ground and it lit up into flames,” he told CBS2. “I kicked it down and made the fire go out.”

READ MORE: Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer And Injured Director On "Rust" Movie Set

Hlavaty now has a huge hole in his jeans pocket where his phone used to be.

There have been complaints made about iPhones bursting into flames while charging, but Hlavaty says his phone, which he had for about six months, wasn’t even turned on at the time.

MORE NEWS: Suspect Arrested After Carjacking Amazon Delivery Van, Leading Police On Wild Chase Through Paterson, N.J.

Last month, Samsung suspended sales of their Galaxy Note 7 after reports that battery issues were causing the phones to catch fire.