HARTFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) — The families of some of the victims killed in the 2012 Newtown school shooting are trying to reinstate their wrongful-death lawsuit against the company that made the semiautomatic rifle used in the massacre.

Lawyers for a survivor and relatives of nine who died filed papers Tuesday asking the state Supreme Court to hear their appeal.

READ MORE: Sources: Suspect In Shooting Of NYPD Officers Had Multiple Weapons, Including AR-15 With 20 Rounds Hidden Under Mattress

“I’m bringing this appeal for our dead son,” said Ian Hockley, whose 6-year-old son, Dylan, was killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. “He never stood a chance because he stared down the barrel of a military grade weapon.”

A judge dismissed the lawsuit against Remington Arms in October, citing a federal law that shields gun manufacturers from most lawsuits over criminal use of their products.

READ MORE: Rangers Stay Red Hot, Take Down Kings In Shootout

Josh Koskoff, a lawyer for the families, says the state Supreme Court can take cases of great public importance.

“The issues raised in this case are obviously very important and are of great public interest as well,” Koskoff said.

On Dec. 14, 2012, Adam Lanza killed 20 first-graders and six educators with a Remington-made rifle. The lawsuit says the Madison, North Carolina-based company should not have sold such a dangerous weapon to the public.

Remington‘s lawyers dispute the allegations and expect the appeal to be dismissed. Remington Outdoor Co. was previously known as Freedom Group.

MORE NEWS: Knicks' Late Rally Falls Short In Road Loss To Cavaliers

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)