NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Bill de Blasio has been taking flight.

As CBS2 Political Reporter Marcia Kramer reported exclusively, documents obtained by CBS2 show the mayor has dramatically increased helicopter travel around the city.

On Oct. 14 near dinnertime, an NYPD helicopter landed near the baseball field in Prospect Park. At the time, police were coy, saying they were transporting “a dignitary.”

That dignitary turned out to be Mayor de Blasio, who after hanging around his old Park Slope neighborhood, wanted to avoid traffic on a seven-mile trip to Queens.

Suddenly, there were questions. What was the man who bragged that riding helicopters was “not my thing” doing? And he had apparently suddenly decided that avoiding the city’s epic traffic jams was the way to go.

CBS2 filed a Freedom of Information of Act request, discovering that yes, Mayor de Blasio is now subscribing to the joys of flying.

NYPD records show that in 2014, his first year in office, de Blasio flew in a helicopter twice. In 2015, there were also two flights. So far in 2016, there are records of 18 flights – though several are on the same day.

Why the dramatic increase? The mayor blames it on the NYPD.

“NYPD decides how to transport the mayor from event to event,” said press secretary Eric Phillips.

Phillips was the same man who in January announced a reduction in tourist helicopter flights because they make too much noise.

Comments (43)
  1. Sam Rock says:

He should ride a bicycle.

2. Huh. Libs are hypocrites. Who knew?

3. Ryan Blades says:

Anyone who is truly shocked or surprised is one of Dem-Libs.

4. This guy is just another limousine liberal. Do as I say not as I do. De Blasio just feels he is really so much better then you.

5. Porky Pug says:

DeBlasio is a classic Democrat and pretty much the poster child for everything wrong with the Democrat Party.

6. Gary Cheney says:

Liberal elites do not have the same rules as us.

7. So he blames the police? What a putz.

8. DEMOCRATS REMIND US EVERY DAY ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING AND CARBON FOOTPRINT. IN REALITY THEY THEMSELVES DO NOT PRACTICE WHAT THEY PREACH. WAKE UP AMERICA AND MAKE OUR LEADERS ACCOUNTABLE.
    WE SHOULD ALL BE EQUAL ….OUR CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS SHOULD USE THE SAME HEALTHCARE AS THEIR CONSTITUENTS.

9. So the Commie Mayor is a Hypocrite. Shocker.

10. Democrats are pure evil

1. rufusvondufus says:

Simply for electing DeBlasio, a complete POS and being puke liberals, NYers deserve every plague thrown down upon them!

11. Jose Jimenez says:

Alcalde Sandinista (Sandinista mayor).

12. Carl Ball says:

how long before he is gone? he has to be up soon. you guys deserve better than a obama clone!

13. It’s called “DO AS I SAY BUT DON’T DO AS I DO” This is Liberal hypocrisy!

14. Jim Bond says:

de Blasio is “not my thing.”

15. The ‘dignity free’ – “dignitary” !

16. William Wilhelm JR feels he better than the citizens of the city

17. Dave Gardner says:

Mr. Boberts, “Now friends can you spell hypocrite?”
    Audience, ” M..A..Y..O..R…. D..E..B..L..A..S..I..O”
    Mr. Boberts, “Very good friends I knew you could”

Mr. Boberts, “Now friends can you spell hypocrite?”
    Audience, ” L..I.. B..E..R..A..L”
    Mr. Boberts, “Very good friends I knew you could”

18. Some pigs are more equal than others…

1. You stole my thunder. 4 legs good 2 legs not so bad.

19. Not to worry. Trump’s justice department will be on it

1. I AGREE WE……AMERICA IS SICK AND TIRED OF THE CLIN-TAWNS AND THE MUSLIM WHO CLAIMED TO BE A CHRISTAIN.

20. NYPD may decide how the Mayor is transported but who tells the NYPD what to do?

21. He isn’t a limousine liberal, he’s a helicopter communist. He does it for all the little people of course. LOL.

22. Dale McCan says:

Comrade DeBlaBlaBla, another AGW commie hypocrite with a huge carbon footprint.

23. I have never been on a helicopter.

1. “I have never been on a helicopter.”

I prefer being inside helicopters when using one. Ducking the rotor blades gets tiresome.

24. Dani Mal says:

shocking a hypocritical liberal? Do as I say not as I do

25. seanmscully says:

18? That is not even 1 round trip per month. People need to worry about bigger things in life.

26. Not news. To be expected. Move on.

27. At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.

28. Liberals: “Okay for me, but no for thee.”

29. You people in NYC are dumb A$$ people.Most of you will vote for this guy again.You people even voted for Hillary.I rest my case.

30. He’s a bum! Why doesn’t he fix the problems with the Queens tunnel? Answer: Because HE doesn’t have to use it. Get rid of HIM quick!

31. Communists never live by the same standards they set down for the little people.

32. Typical champagne socialist, I’m afraid. He says that New Yorkers look just like ants from his ride.

33. Only the, “Little People Drive” , the Mayors time is valuable and cannot be wasted in a traffic jam his administration caused.

34. Tim Cohen says:

Do as I say, not as I do and let me worry about the hypocrisy

35. Here’s a fun fact about helicopters – unlike cars and trucks helicopters DO NOT emit CO2! In fact if you look closely at a helicopter in flight you’ll see beautifully colored light coming out of the exhaust pipes! Betcha didn’t know that’s where rainbows come from!

1. Looking….. looking…..Has anyone seen my SHOCKED!! look?

36. Wes Phelan says:

Oh but he is just a humble servant of the people