NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A man who was severely burned when an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket was released from the hospital Sunday.
Upon his release from NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell Medical Center, Otis Gooding, 31, spoke out about the freak accident last month at a wine shop in Grand Central Terminal while he was working.READ MORE: 7 Pedestrians Hurt After Being Struck By A Vehicle In The Bronx
The injuries occurred last Wednesday, Nov. 23, when the e-cig in his pocket burst into flames as he spoke with co-workers. On surveillance video, it looked like fireworks going off.READ MORE: Johnson & Johnson: 2nd Dose Of COVID Vaccine Offers Stronger Protection
The burns to Gooding’s leg were so severe that he required a skin graft and 51 staples.
“It was the scariest thing to ever happen. I see the sparks, so I knew something was wrong, so I was just trying to get it out of my pocket,” Gooding said. “I’m in pain right now — lots of pain. I’m not sure, I’m afraid of using my hand and walking.”MORE NEWS: 'Come From Away' Latest Broadway Hit To Welcome Back Audiences
Gooding goes back to the doctor on Tuesday. He said he will never use an e-cigarette again.
*((TAKE TRAILING VO))