NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — If you want to know what your kids are texting about, sometimes reading the message is not enough.

As CBS2’s Dave Carlin reported, teens often use abbreviations to hide the meaning of their conversations – and there are a lot of new ones you might not know about.

“I use abbreviations for everything I text,” said Amari Sims.

Sims figures her parents only know some of the slang that teens like to use to type and text faster, such as “LOL.”

“‘Laugh out loud’ – everyone knows that one,” one family said.

But there are others that Amari and her sister Ashtyn said they would never use. However, some of their peers do.

Many teens tap in to secret parent-proof abbreviations to text and even sext.

CBS2 showed the girls’ mother, Crystal Sims, a list, including:

• “IWS” for “I want sex;”

• “GYPO” for “get your pants off;”

• “GNOC” for “get naked on camera.”

Crystal Sims did not know what any of them meant. But she guessed, correctly, that “CU46” means “see you for sex.”

“Oh, we would shut it down. I would shut it down,” Crystal Sims said. They wouldn’t even know that a phone was.”

And it can be more than harmless letters and numbers on a screen. A study done in a Southern California school district found of the teenagers who had phones, one out of seven was texting.

“I’ve seen things like that, yeah,” said Shelby LaPierre, 17.

But LaPierre said she stays away from such behavior — believing her father, Guy, when he said, “It never goes away and they know that.”

CBS2 showed him the list, and he responded, “Oh my God.”

CBS2 also noted that a solitary number 9 means “parent watching.”

“I knew a couple of them, but not this many,” Guy LaPierre said.

Technology allows parents to make sure every text their child sends and receives gets sent to them too., and there are companies — including Bark – that are set up with algorithms to detect signs of sexting bullying and suicidal thoughts and send alerts to parents.

“You’ve got to stay a step ahead of what kids are getting in to so you can protect them,” said Bark chief parent officer Titania Jordan. “Let them know that you know.”

Experts say if talk to kids openly and in a non-judgmental tone about proper and safe texting, they may react badly in the moment but thank you one day.

For a few more text codes used by teens, “PIR” means “parent in room,” and “POS” means “parent over shoulder.”

Comments (22)
  1. Zeke Scudder says:

So, your response to teens having sex is to stalk your kids….. Yeah no that’s a great idea. That won’t make them resent you at all. Nah, we shouldn’t educate them about sex at all and teach them how to do it safely. No, that’s ridiculous!

2. Steve Holman says:

What does CBS2 mean? Sounds kinky…

3. #FakeNews alert! Do you really think kids are using “code”… that’s almost as ridiculous as Jon Podesta using pedophile codes in #PizzaGate. I mean serious, we should all know by now that people don’t really speak in code.. thats just fake.

😉

4. Paul Woomer says:

DBBF Daughter banging boy friend

5. Doug Day says:

Parents type in DaD when talking about their kids…Dumb as Dirt.

6. CBS2 is code for “fake news”

7. Dan English says:

POS means something totally different to my generation 🙂

1. POS was what I drove to school in when I was in College.

2. Gary Godsoe says:

No kidding, I was thinking the exact same thing! If I saw my daughter texting POS, regardless of what it means on here, she’s in trouble. 😀

8. If your children are posting about Pizzagate or Spirit Cooking it’s because the parents are grooming them to be broken. Just a thought.

9. Cam Kirmser says:

Ya know, parents, you are NOT required to allow your kids a cell phone.

1. exactly. Mydaughter is coming to an age where she can have a phone, and we got a line, but its not a full time phone for her, just if she goes out without us, then we take it back. However, I’ve told them that I can see what they do on the phone, and the accounts on the phones and tablets, i’ve created with my own passwords that I can access anywhere. I’ve physically taken tablets away to inspect the chats, and even deleted programs when random people tried phishing for contacts. She’d tell me anyways.

My son who is younger is even more freaked as I can see when he downloads an app, and have called from work, asking why he downloaded an app (they have instructions to ask me before downloading, so I can check permissions). He got surprised the 1st time I called him for downloading an app, and he doesn’t attempt to do it, unless he calls me first.

They will both get new tablets for christmas, but with logins that i’ve created, and accounts I’ve setup, so I can access them from anywhere and at anytime.

Some parents just dump a phone and say, “here, enjoy” without bothering to keep tabs on them.

1. De Leweye says:

You don’t have a family, you have a prison camp. Instead of setting an example and teaching them to be skeptical and think independently, you are preparing them to reflexively defer to arbitrary authority. You live in fear and create fearful children – the exact opposite of what they need to be to live safe and sane as adults.

1. I call BS. There is nothing written therein which even remotely resembles a prison camp. It’s called responsible parenting. A good parent sets the boundaries for their children to operate in, and the children learn and they grow up respecting boundaries. One can still easily teach and inculcate the values of thinking independently, irregardless of whether or not parents keep track of what’s going on with their children and the internet – independent thinking and setting boundaries are not mutually exclusive. That parent isn’t living in fear – if anything, that parent is being prudent and practical. Enough with the inflammatory nature of trying to push your views of what good parenting is onto someone else. Have a great day.

1. De Leweye says:

Part of being a kid is learning how to do things the old folks don’t (officially) know about. Part of being a parent is learning how to be aware of things you don’t (officially) know about. Obsessing over knowing every detail of your kid’s life is self-defeating, stupid and unfair to the child. If you pay reasonable attention to your children you will know where their head is at and where they’re likely to overreach – which is also the kid’s job. You can then show them your brilliance by being there and ready in guiding them past the rough spot they’ve gotten themselves into. You, by contrast, strike me as about as observant as the dimwits who can’t tell the pit bull is about to bite.

2. you sound like one of those special snowflakes i’ve been hearing about lately….

1. De Leweye says:

I have a simple policy in dealing with you lamers who want to type insults on these threads: Until you have the balls to try it to my face, all you’re doing is revealing yourself as a stupid coward.

10. A great deal of this story is just made up from thin air.