BROOKLYN, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams hopes that people can learn from the deaths of two little girls in the Bronx last week.

The children suffered severe burns after excessive scalding heat from a radiator filled their bedroom.

Their father has since said that the steam valve blew off.

In a press conference Sunday, Adams enlisted the help of master plumber David John to explain the do’s and don’ts of boilers, radiators, and steam valves.

“You want a professional who knows what he’s doing to install your steam valve,” said John.

Adams said the girl’s deaths should not be in vain.

“If it’s leaking, call a professional,” he said. “A leak says the system is not operating properly.”

Adams said a valve in his own home recently burst because he failed to screw it in properly.

John says that if after a visual inspection you have your doubts, it’s always best to call a professional for help.

1010 WINS’s Carol D’Auria reports that the radiator and steam valve from the Bronx apartment have both been sent to the FBI for analysis.

© 2016 CBS Local Digital Media


Leave a Reply