NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — An 8-year-old girl and an 18-year-old college student were among the 22 people killed in an apparent suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.

As CBS News’ Tina Kraus reported, thousands of people attended a vigil in Albert Square in Manchester Tuesday evening honoring the victims of the attack.

“We will pull through the events of last night, because we will stand together – stand together whatever our background; whatever our religion; whatever our beliefs and our politics, we will stand together…. Because love, in the end, is always stronger than hate,” said Bishop of Manchester David Walker.

The pain of tragedy was also all over the pop star herself as she arrived back in Florida Tuesday night – grieving for the dead, the injured and those still missing.

The first victim to be publicly identified in the Manchester attack is 18-year-old college student Georgina Callander who was said to be a huge fan of the pop singer.

Collander took a picture with the singer two years ago.

Eight-year-old Saffie Roussos also died, reportedly while wearing an Ariana Grande T-shirt. Her school principal called her “a beautiful little girl in every aspect of the word.”

Meanwhile, as many as 15 people are still reportedly missing near 24 hours after the attack.


Charlotte Campbell is trying to find her 15-year-old daughter Olivia.

“I’ve tried all the hospitals and no one has got her on record of being there yet. I am waiting for a phone call back from the police,” Campbell said.

Olivia was last seen with her friend who was injured and taken to a hospital.

Campbell spoke with her daughter right before Grande was set to take the stage, CBS2’s Jessica Layton reported.

“She thanked me and said she loved me, and that was the last I heard from her,” Campbell said.

Officials say 59 victims were hospitalized, some reportedly paralyzed by shrapnel. Twelve children under the age of 16 were among those injured.

Karen Ford was inside Manchester Arena with her 13 year-old daughter when the bomb went off. She said her husband panicked when he couldn’t find them in the aftermath.

“For about 10 minutes, we were trying to look for each other, they thought we were dead,” Ford said.

British Prime Minister Theresa May visited the injured at a children’s hospital.

“To cut off young lives in this way is absolutely devastating,” May said.

Several other cities around the U.K. held vigils Tuesday night in a show of solidarity. Queen Elizabeth II also issued a statement expressing her admiration for the way the people of Manchester reacted to the “act of barbarity.”

The royal family, the Manchester United soccer team, and the United Nations also held moments of silence for the victims.


Leave a Reply