NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A suspect was wounded and another is still on the run after a police-involved shooting early Friday morning in Brooklyn.

It all began around 1:30 a.m. as members of the Brooklyn North Gang Unit were on patrol in the area of St. Johns Place and Rochester Avenue in Crown Heights.

READ MORE: COVID Vaccine Mandate Takes Effect For New York State Health Care Workers

The officers, who were in plain clothes and an unmarked vehicle, heard several shots fired about a block away, police said. They drove closer and saw a man running with a 20-year-old man chasing him with a gun in hand, police said.

Officers said they then saw the suspect fire the gun. Police began chasing him, ordering him to drop the weapon but instead, police said the suspect began coming towards them.

“The officers observed the male fire the gun and then the male continued to run in the direction of the officers, unaware that they were there,” NYPD Assistant Chief Jeffrey Maddrey said. “One of the officers in the vehicle was a sergeant. He exited the vehicle, at that point he discharged his weapon at least two times, striking the male one time in the thigh. The male continued to run southbound on Rochester Avenue, at which time he discarded his weapon and continued to run until he finally collapsed.”

Police said at least six shots were fired in the spray of bullets. One of those bullets pierced right through Fateeh Sharhan’s bedroom window.

“When the bullet hit the wall, it was ‘whoosh,'” he told CBS2’s Janelle Burrell.

Sharhan, who recorded cellphone video that appears to show police taking the suspect into custody, says he heard the shots, but didn’t realize until later Friday morning that the bullet had missed his bed by just inches.

“Thank God, of course I’m grateful,” he said. “Thank God for that.”

The suspect was arrested and taken to Brookdale Hospital in stable condition. Police said the 20-year-old man has seven prior arrests. His mother told CBS2 the allegations against him are not true.

READ MORE: Concern Over School Bus Staffing In Connecticut As New COVID Protocols Begin

“No, he did not have no gun,” Akia Langhorne said. “My son don’t have no cases like that.”

Police said they recovered a .25 caliber hand gun at the scene.

No officers were hurt.

Residents say even though police statistics show crime down in this community, they believe more needs to be done.

“It’s sad and the fact that you can’t even come outside and be safe is really sad,” said resident Sharon Phillip. “You don’t even know what to do anymore. This neighborhood has a lot of crime and they need to clean it up.”

The suspect who was shot has not been named. Charges against him are pending.

MORE NEWS: NYPD: 5 People Hospitalized After Police-Involved Shooting In Upper Manhattan

Police are still searching for the second suspect.