LEVITTOWN, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A grandmother is dead and her grandson was in serious condition Wednesday evening, after they were both stabbed in their Long Island home.

As CBS2’s Ali Bauman reported, investigators were questioning two people of interest late Wednesday.
Neighbors said the older woman was always friendly, but the grandchildren who lived in this house with her seemed to attract trouble to the residential block. They said the homicide investigation is their deepest fear realized.

Nassau County police surrounded the house at 706 N. Newbridge Rd. Wednesday afternoon. They were called to the scene just before 2 p.m. and walked inside to find a 24-year-old man bleeding from cuts all over his arms.

Police walked in further and found the man’s grandmother bleeding on the floor, with similar cuts all over her body.

“Unfortunately and sadly, this female did succumb to her injuries,” said Nassau County police Lt. Richard Lebrun. “The 24-year-old male is in serious condition at a local hospital.”

“I’m in shock that happened so close to me,” said neighbor Noelle Gaska.

The investigation later brought authorities three blocks away to a house at 53 Blackbird Rd.

“We do have persons of interest at that scene that we are interviewing,” Lebrun said.

Police sources said the victim’s house seemed to have been targeted with the grandson at the center.

“They used to have parties all the time out there; cars parked on the meridian out there, and I see them sitting on the meridian out here drinking beer,” said neighbor Philip Suppan.

Suppan said he has reprimanded the 24-year-old for his behavior on several occasions.

“This is Levittown. It’s a residential area,” he said, “and you have all these cars parked outside your house for five minutes and people going to the car.”

But the surviving victim’s grandmother is remembered as a kind, quiet addition to the neighborhood.

“She just walked up and down the block I guess getting her exercise,” Gaska said. “She’d say, ‘Hi, how are you?’ if you passed or anything.”

Police were set to search the house Wednesday night, looking for a weapon. No charges had been filed in the case late Wednesday.