NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police are on the hunt for a robber they say targeted an elderly woman and punched her repeatedly inside her apartment building lobby.

The brutal attack was caught on surveillance video.

MORE: Man Violently Robs 81-Year-Old Woman In West Village

Police say after  a trip to the pharmacy, 81-year-old Barbara Davidson entered her building near West 13th Street and 7th Avenue Friday around 7 p.m when out of nowhere a man followed her inside.

The suspect punched Davidson repeatedly in the head and face, according to police.

She then fell to the ground before police say the suspect ran off with her purse.

“I was an easy mark. I was just about ready to put the key in the door when I felt the, really, big blow on my head,” she said.

Davidson, a working actress who has lived in the building for over 40 years, suffered bumps and bruises from the attack but is expected to be okay.

She just filmed a movie this year, and you can also see her in the 2008 film “Don’t Mess with the Zohan” alongside Adam Sandler.

Davidson told CBS2’s Reena Roy the experience has made her stronger.

“Just be careful people, because you just don’t know,” she said. “One of the things I can say is, especially to women who are older, just kind of watch out.”

Davidson said she couldn’t see the assailant because she was facing the apartment.

“I turned around, with real pain,” she said. “I had a big red bag. I saw the red bag flying out the door.”

Neighbors heard her screams for help, rushed to her side and called 911.

“I and several other neighbors came out of our apartments and helped her up. We asked what happened, one person was running out of the door to find the guy,” witness Virginia Koenig said.

Police said the suspect was a black man wearing all black.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stopper Hotline at 800-577-TIPS or for Spanish 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). You can also submit tips on the Crime Stoppers Website or by texting them to 274637(CRIMES) then entering TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

Comments (35)
  1. These people are always enriching our culture, always contributing to our communities. But it’s long past time that they all return to their homeland.

2. Hmmm, a little hard to tell, but it looks like the usual white Amish riff-raff to me.
    In other words, a “youth” or “teen” struggling to prepare for college.

3. Zar PK says:

Just based on the vague headline alone describing the crime and PC BS lie of omission (not mentioning the race of the suspect), I knew exactly what the race of the perp was ; the leftist fake journalists and editors routinely avoid admitting the racial description with a certain race exempted from responsibility by PC BS. That race isresponsible for more than 50% of all violent crime despite accounting for only abut 12% of the population.

4. Where are Rev. Sharpton and Jesse Jackson pontificating on this event?

1. The Fake Revs are waiting for their buddy, Deys Dindunuffin, to show up.
      Or some cash. Whichever arrives first is fine with them.

5. Reparations for the feral race….

6. Kevin Kline says:

Robbery was secondary. These thugs just want to hurt white people.

7. Mike Keys says:

How about this newsflash….81 year old woman shoots wanna-be robber in the head in self defense.

8. No one can be surprised by this, I mean that’s how nwords roll. Nwords are are sociopaths by nature, yt just has to accept that. This is what the idiot nfl protests are about, forcing whites to accept the criminal sociopath behavior of nwords as normal

9. Had to hit an old woman three times to grab her purse and you STILL didn’t knock her out?! This guy’s M.O. is going to be old people because he’s clearly weak. Definitely not your typical Knockout Game winner…

10. Robert Smith says:

Reporter forgot to mention a description of the perp! Sooo how in the hell do you expect us to look out for him?!

11. Wow, a son of Obama did it? No way!

12. Mike Tor says:

Evil White people must remember that white privilege includes submitting to their DNC/BLM overlords. So Evil White people, STFU and give up our stuff. /s

13. John Oakman says:

Of Course it was a N.

14. Clegg Jensen says:

Always a “teen” or teen Magillas. 99.99% of the time. Lock your car doors. Watch your back. Walk to the other side of the street. Now you know why the southern states were adamantly against letting them loose on our streets.

15. Mike Miller says:

And Everybody SING !
    We all love Diversity,
    Its good for Whitey,
    Don’t you see?
    Beat her up!
    Beat her up!
    Screw Aunt Bea !

Thank you, thank you!
    I’ll be on the Internet All Week.
    Thank you!

16. Mike Stein says:

I’m surprised George W. Bush and John McCain didn’t hold a news conference right after the attack on this woman. They could have railed against her for her “white privilege” and ingrained bigotry. McCain was probably in NYC anyways schlepping another dossier full of Trump goodies.

1. James Hobby says:

When this man is caught he should be beaten to within a inch of his life. Brutal force is the only thing these animals respect.

17. iodiner says:

Just from the headline I knew. Then it was confirmed when the lefty CBS news did not broadcast or acknowledge a description of the assailant. Everybody knows, CBS. And everybody knows you hide it.

18. Mary George says:

It was Kaeperknickers because he could not get a job anymore.

19. Robert Power says:

So glad she is and will be unarmed forever.

20. Emm Are Kay says:

Too bad she did not terminate the animal on the spot.

21. Jose Ortega says:

What more proof do we need? The Afrikanisches are unfit to live in a civilized society. They do not belong here. We are doing them a disservice by not repatriating them to Afrika where they belong.

22. Leroy Hesser says:

Holy crap…I’m shocked! I fully expected to see a white, conservative, 2nd Amendment male attacking her.

23. I’ll bet he’s a moonlighting NFL player

24. hitrestart1 says:

So fed up with this SS every single day. Predictable yet never, EVER reported.

25. It’s a race crime but marxist media won’t dare mention it because they revel in pushing the “White privilege” narrative. Forward, Comrades!

26. Need I watch the video for a description of the suspect…?

1. Hiram Floss says:

didn’t even need to click the link.

27. jnsesq says:

Knew it from the story headline but thought I’d confirm for (redundancy and) fairness.

Remember: This is what simmers just beneath the surface of that thin veneer of (hoped-for-yet-constantly-rejected) Western civility. Don’t believe it? Simply wait till the next manufactured “outrage” like “Hands up. Don’t shoot.” Liquor stores will be sacked; mom-and-pop business will be looted and burned. “Hey, it’s a cultural thing, yo. You wouldn’t understand. Here, we’ll show you at football games.”

One need only look to “modern” Africa to see the true nature of the cannot-be-discussed issue here.

28. I knew it, but I had to look anyway.