ELMWOOD PARK (CBSNewYork) — A New Jersey elementary school is closed for the second time this week after an odor made students and staff sick.
The Elmwood Park schools superintendent said in a letter to parents that the air quality at the Gantner Avenue Elementary School is being tested by an independent licensed environmental company out of an abundance of caution.
The scare began Wednesday when two students fainted at the school and another became ill, complaining of a stomach ache and nausea, triggering school officials to order a complete evacuation of the campus.
“It was scary not really what’s going on,” said parent Cheryl Collado. “People are saying it was carbon monoxide but the school isn’t so I don’t know.”
The building was deemed safe and school reopened Thursday but six teachers got sick, two of them having to be rushed from the school in ambulances. No students were sent home Thursday.
“A lot of kids in my class were worried,” one student said. “Something was burning, I couldn’t concentrate on my work.”
One parent who did not want to go on camera showed CBS2 paperwork showing her son tested positive for carbon monoxide poisoning, CBS2’s Lisa Rozner reported. He is a first grader and shaken up.
Marc Irwin has two kids at the school and says while they are OK, he’s not sending them back until he sees Friday’s results of air testing from the school.
“It’s not going to happen,” Irwin said. “I want some solid answers before my kids go back to that school.”
No one, not the school officials, police or the fire department, is commenting on the severity of the situation, Rozner reported.
In the letter the superintendent sent out, it says the school will share the results of the testing with parents.