NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The search continues for a driver after police say an officer was struck by a car in Times Square.

The incident, which happened around 11:30 p.m. Saturday on Broadway and West 43rd Street, was caught on cell phone video.

The video shows a four-door sedan zipping through Times Square with a trail of smoke behind it. A 26-year-old police officer then steps in front of the car, that stopped steps away from an NYPD substation, attempting to question the driver.

The driver instead hit the gas. The officer pulled his service weapon and was then quickly tossed to the pavement as the car takes off.

Police sources tell CBS2 they have a partial plate number on the car in question. They also learned that several car clubs planned to meet up in the area Saturday night. It wasn’t immediately clear if the driver of the black Mercedes was in town for that.

“He must be crazy to do that,” tour vendor Barry Abdourahamane said.

After clipping the cop, the driver sped off, turning onto 42nd Street. The officer and another colleague are seen running in the middle of the street, gun drawn, trying to chase the driver.

The man recording the video kept up with the police pursuit as the erratic driver continued to dodge the officers, hitting other vehicles as he made his getaway.

After running for blocks, the driver managed to evade police as the officer who was hurt fell to his knees. Police sources tell CBS2 the car in question is a late-model Mercedes Benz C-63. The officer believes three to four passengers were in the car at the time of the melee.

“They’re gonna find him,” said Passaic resident Jay Veras. “They’re gonna find him and when they do, he’s gonna go to jail.”

Some have been wondering why the car’s tires weren’t shot out by responding officers. Sources say officers are only authorized to use their weapons to stop an imminent threat to life.

In this case, no shots were fired at that car.

The officer, who has been with the department for four and a half years, was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital with minor injuries to his back and legs. He was home Monday night and expected to make a full recovery.