LAKEWOOD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Residents are getting back into their homes after a gas explosion forced evacuations in Lakewood Monday morning.
It happened at around 8:08 a.m. at 2nd Street and Forest Avenue.
New Jersey Natural Gas says a contractor installing a sewer line hit the gas line, causing an explosion.
Several blocks were evacuated as a precaution.
“Everybody ran out. Who ever wasn’t dressed ran out with whatever they had, and neighbors helped out very much to accommodate everything we needed,” said resident Sam Ungar. “It’s sad, you know. But thank God it wasn’t people. Houses are replaceable.”
There were no reports of injuries, and the gas line was capped a short time later.