NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) –New Jersey’s five Roman Catholic dioceses listed more than 180 priests Wednesday who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors over a span of several decades, joining more than two dozen other states that have named suspected abusers in the wake of a landmark grand jury report in Pennsylvania last year.

Web Extra: Read the Newark listPaterson | Metuchen | Trenton | Camden

The lists released Wednesday identified priests and deacons who served in the dioceses of Camden, Trenton, Metuchen and Paterson and the archdiocese of Newark. Many priests on the lists are deceased, and others have been removed from ministry.

Cardinal Joseph Tobin, the archbishop of Newark, which listed 63 former priests, said in a statement that he hoped the disclosure “will help bring healing to those whose lives have been so deeply violated.”

Camden’s diocese listed 56 priests and one deacon; Trenton’s diocese named 30 priests; the Paterson diocese listed 28; and Metuchen’s diocese named nine plus two others who are currently the subject of civil investigations.

State Attorney General Gurbir Grewal formed a task force in the fall to conduct a criminal investigation into sexual abuse by clergy in the state, shortly after a Pennsylvania grand jury report identified over 300 predator priests and more than 1,000 victims in that state.

“While this is a positive first step towards transparency and accountability, I hope this spirit of openness continues during the course of our ongoing investigation and in response to our requests for records and information,” Grewal said in a statement Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday, Virginia’s Roman Catholic Diocese of Richmond published a list of 42 priests with a “credible and substantiated” allegation of sexual abuse against a child.

Newark’s list includes Theodore McCarrick, a former Newark archbishop who served as Washington, D.C., archbishop from 2000 to 2006. McCarrick was removed from public ministry in June.

The lists released by the diocese don’t include details about specific allegations or when they are alleged to have happened; rather, any details about the named priests and the crimes of which they are accused come from court records or previously published reports.

Protesters on Wednesday held signs outside of Newark’s Cathedral Basilica, calling the abuse of children “soul murder.” Kevin Waldrip says he was abused in Newark on his 13th birthday by Father Richard Galdon at Our Lady of Good Council.

“It’s affected every aspect of my life, it’s changed who I was,” Waldrip said. “It changed my entire sense of self.”

“The revelation of clergy sexual abuse of minors throughout the past year have provoked feelings of shock, anger, shame and deep sorrow throughout our Catholic community,” said Tobin. “The failure of church leadership to immediately remove suspected abusers from ministry is particularly reprehensible.”

Several priests who served in the Newark archdiocese have been accused of molesting boys as part of their volunteer work with Boy Scout troops, according to published reports. Others named in the release were arrested, convicted or pleaded guilty and were returned to service after probation or treatment, according to court records and published reports.

Former priest and current victim advocate Dr. Robert Hoatson says he believes Cardinal Tobin and the Church are both moving in the right direction, but it’s too little too late.

“I know of priests that I’ve dealt with in terms of their victims who are not on that list, and we’re going to to make sure they get on that list,” he said.

“Looking at that list of names, you see priests who looked like they served in five, ten different parishes. What do you think was going on there?” Baker asked.

“Well, the typical shuffle of priests,” Hoatson said. “They usually said ‘let’s get them out of parish x, but we’ll put them in parish y.’ And usually, at a distance so that they thought it would disappear.”

“We must all be committed to protecting our children, the most vulnerable members of our community,” Tobin said.

Carmen Sita changed his name to Gerald Howard after being sentenced to probation and receiving treatment and began serving as a priest in the Jefferson City, Missouri, diocese where he was assigned to a parish attached to a school. He was later accused of abusing teenage boys and was convicted a second time. The Missouri diocese reported Howard is currently incarcerated.

Former priest Richard Mieliwocki, who was convicted and sentenced to probation, disappeared after starting counseling and resurfaced when he was accused of molesting teenagers as a counselor in an in-patient substance abuse program.

Another priest named Wednesday, Manuel Gallo Espinoza, was indicted by a grand jury in 2016 after admitting to at least one allegation of abuse. He fled to Ecuador, and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

The lists don’t include religious order priests, such as Jesuits, who may serve in parishes or schools but are not ordained by the diocese. A victims’ compensation fund announced this week in New Jersey also won’t cover claims against religious order priests.

Advocates hope seeing the names in print will bring solace to survivors and help those who may be suffering silently find the strength to come forward.

Nearly 2,000 accused clergy members and others nationwide have been identified since and including the Pennsylvania grand jury report, a review by The Associated Press found.

(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)